3D modeling for 2D cartoons
Today, automating the animation process in the cartoon production process has become a major economic issue for the entertainment industry. A privileged partner of this industry, Quadraxis proposes interactive and user-friendly authoring tools to aid cartoon design and production, respecting the traditional practices of creative artists and at the same time incorporating them within a unified and standardized architecture in order to cut off production costs.
The TOON project is aimed at transfering to Quadraxis of innovative technological approaches developed by ARTEMIS, concerning:
- modeling and reconstruction of 3D objects from a few (4 to 8) 2D drawings corresponding to its projections,
- animation and deformation of virtual characters,
- 2D/3D registration of virtual characters according to the story-board defined by the script-writer,
- projection and rendering of 3D characters into a 2D scene,
- scene coding, compression and visualization according to the MPEG-4 standard.
Project site: Quadraxis
Keywords: 3D graphics, 3D reconstruction, animation, Interoperability, Modeling, MPEG 4, Registration