Video-On-Demand services over ADSL
With MPEG-4, a significant advance in terms of audiovisual usage and consumption has been made allowing a triple play (Internet, Telephone and Television) service subscriber to two audiovisual programs over a single ADSL line.
The objective of the RIAM MICA-ADSL project is to demonstrate that it is possible to:
- develop and validate interfaces towards Ethernet type networks (as well as an architecture for cohabitation with and migration to ATM networks) integrating jitter and error rate control;
- increase by a factor of 2 the broadcast capacity of ADSL networks by implementing the new MPEG-4 Part 10 – Advanced Video Coding (AVC) video compression standard;
- develop new video-on-demand services (VOD) adapted to MPEG-4/AVC format.
The contributions of ARTEMIS are related to:
- the development of an MPEG-4 AVC encoder, achieved using the ISO reference software and validated by crossover exchanges with the Thomson encoder;
- the development of an entire distribution chain for a VOD service.
The project is now operational and is the first demonstration of the deployment of a VOD service with MPEG-4 AVC contents via the ADSL network.
ARTEMIS’ developments have been integrated into the global platform of the project set up by France Télécom. Early results and spin-offs have led to the creation of new products and services for interactive digital television and network games, within the context of the OLGA and Passepartout projects.